POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere memory : Re: sphere memory Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere memory
From: Niki Estner
Date: 30 Aug 2002 06:57:40
Message: <3d6f4fa4@news.povray.org>
> That's the problem of design. It would be necessary to add ellipsoid
object to
> SDL to add this optimization and leave speed of 'normal' sphere. Try this
with
> own patch.

IIRC the ellipsoid is already some kind of an own object type - it has
different methods from the sphere. Making the memory layout different
wouldn't change too much. However, that's just 32 bytes of about 500-1000
bytes per sphere, so that won't solve my problem. The texture pointers and
stuff are in the standard OBJECT_FIELDS, so kicking them I would loose the
vista/light buffer - which again hurts performance badly (indeed, I tried
that already).

Ok, now this is really off-topic, but did anyone ever think about
hyper-textures? I read about it in theory some time ago, but I don't really
have an idea about where to start.
I guess modifying the isosurface object, so it wraps around a given object
(spheres, boxes, cylinders, heightfields come right to my mind), and
limiting it so some optimizations can be done to it, while keeping it
general enough for most effects (hair, grass, wool, cloth, stones, sand,
broken wood, etc).
Unfortunately my imagination doesn't seem to be sufficient for such a
modification, not even mentioning my math...